Farm Tour Policy
Polyface is a working farm that receives no taxpayer money via government grants or subsidies. We stay in business by using our time productively doing important daily tasks. As much as we would love to spend time with everyone who comes by, we simply can’t. We have literally hundreds of visitors a week. Here is our farm tour and visit policy:
- SELF-GUIDED TOUR: We have an open door policy. Anyone may come anytime Monday through Saturday to see anything anywhere. Please respect the privacy of our homes. We have a completely transparent farm operation and truly welcome the integrity that this openness engenders. If you do this on a Monday – Friday (we are closed Sundays) and want to also purchase products, please make an appointment in order for us to determine if someone can be near the sales building at that time. For our policy about working with us for a day, please see our Tag Along page.
- GUIDED TOURS: Polyface no longer offers the two hour $500 personal tours like we did last year. Frankly, these have been more trouble than they are worth. Last minute cancellations and haranguing about the price have made these problematic. We don’t know of another farm in America, or perhaps the world, that offers the kind of open-door policy and transparency anyone can freely enjoy at Polyface. That people routinely accuse us of being secretive, elitist, and mercenary because we charge for education-dense explanatory escorted tours shows a lack of appreciation and understanding. As a result, we will discontinue this service until we can settle on a price, personnel, and logistics that can make these guided tours an enjoyable experience. Thank you and we look forward to serving you in one of our other venues.
- GRASS STAIN TOURS: For school groups kindergarten through high school, Polyface offers a 1 hour (for children) to 2 hour (teens) walking tour of the farm. John Pedersen, recent Polyface intern and farm manager at Briarmoor, leads these tours offering an up-close view of each of the farm’s enterprises and how they work together as a whole. Please call John at 571-606-9223 or send him an e-mail. Cost: $200 flat rate. Prepayment required to secure booking. We cannot offer refunds but we will happily reschedule due to inclement weather or other unforeseeable events.
- LUNATIC TOURS: Nominal fee per person aged 13 and up, led by either Joel or Daniel. Offered two times per month, these genuine hay wagon tours are limited to the first 100 people to reserve spots. For both young and old this meandering driving tour stops at all the different pastured animals, where the Polyface lunatic farmers sound forth on everything from earthworms to earth muffins. More fun than a theme park roller coaster ride, this tour has something for everyone, from farmers to corporate executives. Even McDonald’s junkies are welcome. You’ll never be the same. The diverse people who attend these is profound, and generates unexpected conversations. Epiphanies are normal. Click here to book your Lunatic tour today!
Be sure to arrive 20 minutes prior to start of tour, we will not backtrack for late comers. The tour is only 2 hours; we will not run longer if you are late.
2014 Tour Schedule:
- Wednesday, April 16, 1-3pm
- Thursday, April 17, 1-3pm
- Tuesday, May 20, 1-3pm
- Saturday, July 19 – POLYFACE FIELD DAY!
- Saturday, August 16, 10am-12pm
- Saturday, September 6 – FARM TO CONSUMER LEGAL DEFENSE FUNDRAISER AT POLYFACE
- Thursday, September 11, 10am-12pm
- Thursday, September 25, 1-3pm
- Saturday, October 4, 1-3pm