Apprenticeships & Summer Internships
Polyface offers two different apprenticeship options.
- 4-month summer internship open for six to nine interns
- A full-time one year apprenticeship* open to two hand-picked summer interns (choice not based on gender)
*Polyface now requires a completion of the summer internship to be qualified for the one year apprenticeship.
- Email us (link will be active Aug 1, 2015) from August 1 to August 10 with your full name and ask for the Polyface Intern Questionnaire/Application.
- Fill out the questionnaire and email it back to us by August 30.
- We read all questionnaires and then contact our picks (by or on Oct 1) to schedule the two-day checkout date (during the week of December 1-7, 2014, no exceptions, no alternate dates).
Please do not apply at any other time during the year.
Please read over the following information very carefully before sending your email.
Polyface Summer Internship
Spend a summer with us and leave years ahead, or stay on to move up in the Polyface team.
June 1-September 30 (no exceptions)
- Bright eyed, bushy-tailed, self-starter, eager-beaver, situationally aware, go-get-‘em, teachable, positive, non-complaining, grateful, rejoicing, get’er done, dependable, faithful, perseverant, take-responsibility, clean-cut boy-girl appearance characters. We are very, very, very discriminatory.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at start of internship.
- Requires a 2 day checkout prior to acceptance.
- Required time is June 1-Sept. 30.
- Work 5 days per week, off two days except every third week, which is a 7-day week. Sundays are usually chores only and Saturdays are minimal.
- Room and most board provided and you can eat, within reason, from the Polyface larder (no filet mignon lunches, please). Prepare your own breakfast and lunch. Evening meals Monday-Friday provided communally with the Salatins. Accommodations include a full kitchen, bath, and bunk-style sleeping quarters.
- Quarters do not include phone or internet, although the sales building has high speed wireless.
- Expectations: like any experience, you will get out of it what you put into it. We have attainable benchmarks, but they require effort and sweat. Physically, you will be in better shape than you ever thought possible. Emotionally, you will know what you did today, why it was important, and feel great about it.
- Stipend of $100 per month for incidentals. Polyface invests heavily in the physical, emotional, and mental needs of this opportunity; it’s the most education for the money you’ll ever receive.
- Warning: you will be sore, ache, dead tired, and be sick for 3 days in your first two weeks. Once you get acclimated, you’ll be more physically fit than you’ve ever been in your life. But it won’t feel good getting there.
- Maximum number, 9 interns due to accommodation and work limitations.
- Apprentices must commit to a 12-month stay and are chosen by the Salatins from interns after two months of the summer internship. Choice will be made based on performance, attitude and Polyface’s best interest, not on gender.
- Will start and end October 15, with 2 weeks break in between summer internship and apprenticeship.
- Room and board provided. Breakfast and lunch on your own; evening meals with the Salatins.
- Two per year.
- Starting stipend: $500 per month, with performance advances up to $1,500 per month.
- Manage and lead the interns.
- Further education opportunities within the apprenticeship may include: Cattle handling, fence set up and design, winter animal care and housing (layers, rabbits, cows, pigs, etc), forestry, customer interaction and much more.
Depending on needs and opportunities, Polyface offers numerous team spots for full employment, subcontracting or symbiotic entrepreneurship. Numerous interns are now managing complete farms, as self-employed entrepreneurs, under the Polyface umbrella.
Although the opportunities continue to evolve, they all start with the internship. Faithfulness there creates ongoing places of ministry.